Sunday, May 18, 2008

Since I've been lazy...

I've been fairly lazy lately, what with the not going for runs like I should. I tweaked my groin on my last run, so I took a few days off, then forgot to go running again, and then...well, you know. These things happen. Hopefully, not as often.

So, why not kick off a new feature at the blog dedicated to people who are ultimatly not lazy. I'm calling it "Fun" Runs. These will be races and events that I come across that I find interesting.

The first, is a series of ultramathons races* called 4 Deserts. Runners criss cross the Gobi, Atamaca, and Sahara deserts. If you do two of those, you earn the right to go to race in Antartica.

What I find really cool about 4 Deserts is that the races are run in stages. Each night, the racers all camp together with the help of a local indigenous family, prompting a cultural exchange.

The courses are 250 km long (155 miles). You can run them, walk them, the organizers just want you to finish. And here's the impressive part...

"Many who complete an event have never completed a marathon" -4 Deserts Quick Facts

I'd love to do one of these someday, for the experience and just to say that I did it. Even though the FAQ says you don't have to train hard, I reckon getting out on the trails isn't a half bad idea.

Want more info? Go to their webpage. Have fun learning about the event. 4 deserts



*I called this an ultramarthon, but the websites FAQ says it is not. It just says it is a unique racing event and I wouldn't disagree.

No comments: