Sunday, August 14, 2016

Looking back to look ahead

I have become somewhat addicted to Timehop,  the app that lets you look back at your social media posts throughout the years. And five years ago, I discovered that I was running. Six miles even! I believe I was training for a half marathon then.

After that half marathon, I stopped working out. I was back at school full time and working the over night shift at a hotel. I was tired all the time. It was not unheard of for "dinner" to be a large pizza at 2 am. I downed a lot of pop to stay awake. Not to make excuses, but it's not like I look at my body now and wonder how I got here. I know perfectly well.

However, looking back at this gives me encouragement. I did this before. It made me happy! I talked about this yesterday. Exercising makes me happy (which, if you read the science, makes a lot of sense. Endorphins and all that). 

I need to work hard to get to a point where running isn't an instant way to wreck my joints (I want to lose ~25 pounds first). But I'm doing low impact stuff. Yoga, elliptical, cycling. Hopefully that, along with a diet, will get me down to running weight again, and then I can continue to get healthy. To do that, I have to continue to find the joy in exercising, be happy with the improvements, and not get discouraged with the occasional step back. 

Until then, as I said years ago, Beat Yeaterday!


No comments: