Monday, June 16, 2008

The challenge: Day 1

Earlier, I posed the question of "does work make you unfit?". In fact, that was the title of the post.. So, this challenge of getting 3,000 steps, each day for a week, was going to be hard, given that my work week takes up 6 days of the 7.

I made Monday the first day of the challenge because, after my cat kept me awake all of Saturday night and I did a morning shift at work with no sleep, I wasn't in any mood to walk around. I did get in a run though, so it worked out.

So, on day 1 I made it, but barely. 3,007 steps on the day. That works out to 1.37 miles. He are the things that make this challenge fairly, well challenging.

~The most common fitness tip for people on the go is "take the stairs!" Hard to do when you work in a building with no stairs.

~I live near work, so I walk when I can. Its about 400 steps. A round trip doesn't even get me 1/3 of the way there. I made 2 round trips today, which helped.

~Like most jobs, I sit there. All day. Unlike most jobs, I don't really have anywhere to go in the building and not look like a crazy person. The station I work at is a small place. Its not like making constant trips to the water cooler is going to get me major steps. The water cooler is right near my desk, actually. Its maybe 8 steps away.

Still, I made it the 3,000 steps for day 1. Its going to be challenging, but if I can make it work, I'll be better for it.

Update coming tomorrow, hopefully with more steps.

Alan

No comments: