Saturday, May 6, 2017

Inspired by Breaking 2


Last night, I was very intrigued by the Nike Breaking 2 event. Nike live streamed the event on Facebook, and I caught the last half hour of it. Breaking 2 was Nike's attempt to have a runner (decked out in all Nike gear, of course) run a marathon in under two hours.

Now, this wasn't going to be an official world record if any of the runners had been able to do it. They waited until weather conditions were just right, they used pacers that worked to eliminate drag for the main runners. They used motor bikes to deliver nutrition. All of that made it not a legal event. And yet, it was thrilling to watch the runners make the attempt. Watching anyone push the limits of the human limit is inspiring, and this event, even with all of its "cheats" was no exception.

In the end, the best effort missed the target by about 26 seconds. But, still, it was thrilling to watch. My heart was racing at the end, hoping that the runner would find another gear and break the two hour mark. But, when pushing yourself to the limit for 25 miles, finding a little bit more in the final 1.2 miles is hard to find.

Still, I was inspired. One of the commentators (dressed in Nike gear, of course) talked about how she was inspired. She made an excellent point, saying that in our lives we all have our own two hour mark. And this shows, even if the runner didn't make it, that the impossible goal is achievable.

Now, you might have to do some unusual things to achieve that. Use pacers, motor bikes, all that. But, it's still achievable. Your impossible task is within your capabilities.

One of the more interesting statistics that was mentioned during the broadcast is that by some metrics, people didn't think a person would break the two-hour mark until the year 2070. The world record for the marathon keeps getting shaved further and further down, but still, this barrier was going to be a long ways off. So, Nike rigged up a system, gave it a best shot, and missed by 26 seconds. If anything though, there may be a belief, maybe from the official runners, the pacers, or other high end competitors, that they could break that two hour mark. It's been shown to be doable, even if it hasn't been done yet.

For me, this two hour barrier is my weight. I don't remember the last time I weighted under 200 pounds. The lightest I had been in years was a few months ago when I weighed 235 pounds. I sort of abandoned my weight loss goals and have ballooned back up over 250. It was a wake up call that I needed to get back to it. My doctor had told me that I should get under 200 to be healthy. I want to get down to 200 just for my own health. It has proved to be elusive.

But, I also know its doable. Every month, Men's Health features a story from a real guy who has lost weight, looks muscular. There are many examples of people doing this. I don't want to do anything crazy (no surgeries or anything). I feel that with watching food intake and dieting I can make a serious change.

This is my version of Breaking 2. It won't be telecasted, it won't be sponsored, and there will definitely not be any Nike products involved (they are a bit too expensive for my taste. I'm more of an Adidas guy anyway.) But, it will still be worth it.

In a way, my own past lets me know that it's doable. When I was down to 235, I had lost 22 pounds. Not even half, but still, I was making consistent gains with my weight loss. I know I can get back to it, and I know that this time I can finish the job.

I decided that when I watched the event, that once I did get to 200, I would dedicate myself to running a marathon. Running a marathon has always been on my bucket list. I once had a goal of running one before I turned 30. That has come and gone. But, once I hit 200 pounds, I'll feel like I can start racking up the miles and train for a marathon. I won't get anywhere close to breaking the two hour mark, but it will feel just as good for me when I cross the finish line for my first marathon.

No comments: